Rosicrucian Order, AMORC

Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis, English Language Jurisdiction, the Americas
Home Become a Member Members Only About the Order Local Groups Rosicrucian Park Publications Store
Rosicrucian Research Library

Dedicated to the pursuit of Rosicrucian knowledge, this handsome building of Egyptian design contains a remarkable collection of books and other research materials on most esoteric subjects, as well as cultural, scientific, and other fascinating material.

Rosicrucians living in or visiting the San Jose area are encouraged to make full use of the library. Scholars, researchers, students and the interested public are also welcome to study here as well, as a service to the community, another manifestation of Dr. Lewis’ dream for Rosicrucian Park.

Over the library entrance, illuminated at night by the light of two torches, the bas-relief of a kneeling scribe suggests this building’s dedication to the pursuit of knowledge. Wherever AMORC made its headquarters, Dr. Lewis set up a library for use of the staff and members.

In 1916, when the headquarters of the Order was in New York City, a library was located on the second floor, directly above the executive offices. Later, when the Order’s headquarters moved to San Francisco, there was a “fine reading room, and a very large library of the best occult, mystical and metaphysical books obtainable.”

When AMORC moved to Tampa, Florida, in 1925, the Order maintained a metaphysical library that also operated as a public reading room. Shortly after the move to San José in late 1927, a library was formed once more. When the Rosicrucian Planetarium was built in 1936, these books were placed in the private wing of the new building.

Realizing the need for a larger facility, Ralph M. Lewis, then Supreme Secretary of AMORC, drew up a proposal for a new Library building, and the work began! Members generously donated money, time and books to this initiative. Since June 19, 1939, the collection’s core has grown in its present home, from the personal libraries of Rosicrucian Park founder Dr. H. Spencer Lewis and that of his son, Ralph M. Lewis, who established the Library, through the generosity of members and friends of the Order.

According to the dedicatory address in 1939, the Library “was to be devoted not to a mere preservation of established and accumulated knowledge, but would be used, in addition, to push outwards the boundaries of learning to add to that which is already known.”

Now, at the dawn of the new millennium, the Library, having celebrated its 65th anniversary, remains dynamic, digitalizing its catalog, planning for a state-of-the-art Library facility, and continuing to be a treasured resource for scholars, mystics and seekers.

-- Materials adapted and updated, based on Clara E. Campbell, SRC, “The 50th Anniversary of the Rosicrucian Research Library,” Rosicrucian Digest 67:5 (September/October 1989), 15-18.

Highlights:

Sacred Text Archive

Salon Bibliographies






Library Sections
Alchemy
AMORC Publications
Archaeology
Astrology
Astronomy
Biography
Egyptology
Esoteric Studies
Fine Arts
History
Languages
Literature
Mathematics
Mysticism
Mythology
Philosophy
Psychology
Rare Books
Religious Studies
Rosicrucian History/Studies
Science
Social Sciences
Spirituality
Social Sciences

 

 

 
AMORC | Egyptian Museum | Rose+Croix Journal | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© 2012 Rosicrucian Order, AMORC. All rights reserved.