Location: Online 4:00pm PST
Website or Map: https://rosicrucian.org/
You are cordially invited to join us in reading and discussing one of our foundational Rosicrucian texts, The Sanctuary of Self by Ralph M. Lewis.
This evening we will be beginning our journey into the wisdom of Part Three, The Pitfalls, with our discussion of Chapter Sixteen, "Occultism, Hermeticism and Esotericism".
Here are the discussion questions:
1. What is the common person’s definition of occultism today, and what practices are most often associated with this term?
2. How are the “occult sciences” different? What subjects, originally considered occult sciences, are now being investigated through scientific experimentation?
3. Why did the dominant religion of the day misunderstand or reject the investigations of occult science? In our discussion, consider using Galileo as an example.
4. Ralph M. Lewis refers to “mundane science” and its rejection of the work of Paracelsus during the 15th and 16th centuries. Can you describe how Paracelsus came into conflict with the science of his day?
5. For centuries, the word “bombast,” meaning exaggerated claims, has been associated with Paracelsus. How have current scientists recently revised their views of Paracelsus? Are you aware of any such revisions that are not mentioned in this chapter?
6. How is “true occultism” different from its common interpretation? That is, what subject matter is covered as referred to in this chapter?
7. Does “true occultism” seek to hide knowledge? If not, what does the author tell us is its intention?
8. Is occultism a religion?
9. The author tells us that many world religions also incorporate true occultism in their practices. He mentions several, but in particular Sikhism. Can you offer a brief synopsis of the life of its founder, Nanak?
10. How are “occult laws” important in the practices of Sikhism?
11. How is magic defined by the author? What does a belief in magic indicate about how the world operates and thus how belief in magic differs from true occultism?
12. What is the origin of Hermeticism and its relationship to both Greece and Egypt?
13. What was the goal “of initiation for the mystery school candidates” of “the school of Thoth” at Khemennu or Hermopolis?
14. How is the term metaphysics misunderstood? What is its original meaning, and what does it mean to students of mysticism today?
15. According to author Ralph M. Lewis, what is the meaning of Rosicrucianism? Why does he suggest that as Rosicrucian students we do not pursue merely one aspect of our teachings?
* Click on https://zoom.us/j/6528596718
* The passcode is also 6528596718.
* You can also call in by dialing +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll), although using your computer or other device with both audio and video capabilities will provide you with a fuller experience.
* If you are calling from outside the United States, you will find the International Numbers here.
* The best way to participate is on a computer or smart device with both audio and video capabilities. If you experience any difficulty gaining access to a desired teleconference, please email [email protected].